Blogger of the Month
After an 18 month hiatus Dr Ash Casey is back blogging again at Physical Education Practitioner Research Network or PEPRN for short. The focus for his new series is Models Based Practice or more specifically how we can design and implement a multiple model curriculum that provides a holistic approach to teaching Physical Education. The first thing we must do is overcome tradition, by a Step away from the multi-activity curriculum. However we are reminded that Direct instruction is one pedagogical model but we need to ask for what it is best for. This leads us to ask Where to start? Finding a pedagogical place for a pedagogical model, to place the learners and learning at the forefront of our decision-making processes before implementing the right model for the required learning intentions. I look forward to the rest of the series but there is plenty in his older posts to keep you occupied until they are published.
Top 10 Blog posts
- The Strongest Argument Ever is by Justin Schleider takes a evidenced based approach to advocating for PE within the curriculum.
- Teaching tennis: Considering a Game Sense approach by Shane Pill offers a pedagogical approach for teachers and tennis coaches that challenges skill learning as interdependent technical and tactical development.
- Community problem solving + Mindfulness + Life Movement is a wonderful post by Mel Hamada that shows how movement can provide self care, self actualization & a way of being.
- Sport Literacy also by Shane Pill asks the question do we need to adopt sport literacy as a curriculum framing to ensure sport has educational value within the PE Curriculum?
- Sport Systems – fragments of thought #10 more thoughts from Mark Upton on how we can bring a little more humanity into the systems that deliver sport.
- Renshaw family player/coach relationship focuses on Ian Renshaw‘s relationship with his son and the environment they created to help his cricket flourish.
- At last, Physical Literacy hits the big-time in Australia by Kelvin Giles takes a critical look at the promotion of physical literacy in Australia and offers some practical suggestions moving forward.
- How I Start My School Year: Lesson One by Joey Feith is a comprehensive look at how we sets up his PE classes at the beginning of the school year.
- Using metaphors to think about the features of meaningful experiences from the crew at Meaningful PE providing a clear metaphor on how the key elements of meaningful PE interconnect with one another.
- Researcher explores learning habits of skateboarders challenges us as PE Teachers whether teaching movement always needs to be a formal process that involves a content-based curriculum and teacher-led instruction.
- The True Cost – Fashion industry meets PE teacher
- Developing a Learning Roadmap – What Is It and How Can It Help?
- Establishing Systems for Student Reflection
- The physed future – my future
- Developing a Movement Vocabulary
- Applying Bloom’s Taxonomy to My Programs
- Why have children stopped moving
- Are Accountability Measures Squeezing Out PE and Risking Young People’s Health?
- The strongest argument ever
- Kicking and catching as important as spelling and sums: PE expert
- Most Important Standards
- How to coach a range of abilities within a large group
- Shape America Assessment Meeting 2017
- Starting the Year – Team Building
- PE Games: Adventure Bingo
- STOPWATCH – The Great Motivator
- 7 Tips for Getting the Most Out of a Small PE Class
- Blowing Off S.T.E.A.M. in Physical Education: Make Your Own Jump Rope
- How do you do Fitness Testing in PE
- How Do Your Students Exit the Gym?
- Top 10 Pieces of Equipment for Primary PE
- 7 minutes out of 45 MVPA
- October’s “Trick or Treat, Move Your Feet” fitness challenge
- 5 Steps for Energizing Your Health Class
- Best Skills Showdown Game
- An Aha moment – curriculum flow
- Curriculum Flow – Writing Rubrics
- Helping Students Improve Their Health Literacy
- Developing the Complete Athlete
- Back to school presentation by Mel Hamada
- Explicitly cuing students for success
- Trampolining CPD Resources
- School Trips: The value of experiences
- The weakest Links
Tech in PE
- Top Apps for PE Teachers
- Share Your Big Screen
- The Ultimate Human Heart Expedition in Augmented Reality
- Long Jump without a Tape Measure?
- Testing My Agility with Augmented Reality
- Episode 95 – iOS Vs Android in PE
Research in PE
- Why do we make errors under pressure? A direct test of two theories
- Rugby, risk and rhetoric: The trivialisation of injury data must end
- On practising in physical education: outline for a pedagogical model
- Developing the practising model in physical education: an expository outline focusing on movement capability
- Is diving training as representative of competition performance as we think?
- How do hockey coaches approach and structure field-goal shooting practice?
- Feeling bad about progress does not lead people want to change their health behaviour
- Fundamental Movement Skills: An Important Focus
- Physical Literacy
- Young people’s uses of wearable healthy lifestyle technologies; surveillance, self-surveillance and resistance
PE Podcasts and Videos
- Focus on FUNdamentals with Tracy Lockwood
- Moving away from being a ‘playstation coach’
- Quality Physical Education with Dr Dean Dudley
- On What We Need to Make Coaching a True Profession
- What is the benefit of a player-led training session?
- Behind the Scenes at The RFU: Russell Earnshaw
- New Research on Changing Movement Patterns
- Exploring Physical Literacy with Liz Myers
- Kinder Active pre-school in Bournemouth teaches through sport
School and Youth Sport
- Comparing coaching philosophies between codes in Irish sport
- From the Mouth of Babes
- Is Coach observation worth pursuing? and Is Coach Observation worth pursuing #2
- A Coach’s Voice
- Bullsh!t Detector Triggers
- The Jack Of All Sports
- The Biggest Misconception About Coaching Kids
- Your Influence Is Never Neutral
- A Skill Every Youth Coach Should Develop
- Performance is a Behavior, NOT an Outcome!
Articles of Interest
- Man Management and Captaincy from Ben Ryan
- On your bike! Why Britain needs to do more to get children cycling
- Hitting the target but missing the point – myths about target setting
- Don’t Worry About Being the Best. Worry About Being the Best at Getting Better.
- Learning and performance: how to help students get in the zone
- The secret power of play
- How physical exercise makes your brain work better