Blogger of the Month
Not a blog, but a vlog. Aaron Beighle is a faculty member in the Department of Kinesiology and Health Promotion at the University of Kentucky, who specialises in physical education and physical activity for youth.He has recently set up Youtube channel called #JustthinkinPE, where he shares some thoughts about PE and PA. Thoughts on how we might make social media as a form of professional development a little bit better or how building relationships and cultivating kindness is an important part of quality physical education. He asks some challenging questions on whether motor skills help children to value physical activity and what are the foundations they are built on or most recently about the link between fitness levels and academic achievement and our focus on outcomes or behaviours.
Top 10 Articles of the Month
In praise of the late developer is a New Statesman article written by Ed Smith about talent identification and our misplaced certainty of predicting children who will become world-class adult performers.
Essential Components of a Standards or Outcomes-Based Quality PE Program is by Shane Pill who suggests a number of design principles when planning learning within PE, including starting with the end in mind.
When Will Youth Sports Actually Serve the Needs of Youth? is an excellent post by John O’Sullivan of Changing the Game Project who asks us youth coaches to constantly ask ourselves ‘does this meet the needs of the children?’
TMfU: Teaching Movement for Understanding by Dr Justen O’Connor is about inviting in variations and alternatives to the PE curriculum beyond sports, to better support our aim of promoting lifelong movement.
Physical Activity, Fitness, Academic Achievement, Academic Performance is an interesting post from Justin Schleider which looks at defining and linking the terms in the title of his blog.
Advice to Young Coaches & Some Old Coaches Who Need to be Reminded Vern Gambetta offers us youth coaches some useful reminders from his years of experience.
The Case for Physical Education becoming a Core Subject in the National Curriculum is a paper by Dr Jo Harris on behalf of the PE Expert Group, for PE becoming a Core Subject in schools.
- Team Teaching – Do you agree? What can be done with your ‘teammate’?
- Life is Athletic: An Interview with Ted Temertzoglou
- I Know Nothing
- Coaching Sport for Understanding: Looking Back
- Strength Training
- Lessons in PE: Good, Bad and ‘Keep them moving & busy!’
- How Does Your #PhysEd Class Begin?
- What is physical activity? A definition
- Explicit Vocabulary Instruction in PE
- Physical Literacy 101 – A primer
- Pupils should spend as much time in PE as they do in English and maths
- Laying the foundations for physical literacy in Wales: the contribution of the Foundation Phase to the development of physical literacy
- Evidence informed practice
- Narrative Inquiry
- Physical Education’s case for Peculiar Pedagogy
- Shape America Nashville Reflection
- On the Move
- Multi-Sport Approach
- Lucky Leprechaun’s MARCH Fitness Challenge
- Just Dance: Improving a Child’s Emotional and Social Skills Through Dance
- G1 Ball Skills Inquiry
- G5 Overnight Trip
- Supporting Learner Agency in G3
- Net Games in G5
- Blowing off S.T.E.A.M. in PE: Design a Kicking Tee for Football
- 10 Simple RELAY RACES for YOUR Students
- Health Related Fitness Unit
- Sharing Understanding of Concepts in G1 using Seesaw
- G5 Net Games: Badminton
- April’s JUMP INTO SPRING Fitness Challenge
- Parkour, gymnastics, which to teach?
- The educational value of Sport Education: a critical response to Kirk (2013).
- Being Physically Active in Content Review
- Empowering through PE
- Smart Moves: Physical Activity’s contribution to Educational Achievement
- Why do we teach Games in schools?
- Unnatural Consequences
- What is the future for Physical Education?
- Am I really a change agent? Can I advocate for PE.
- Interconnectedness. Meaningful lives. Using the Force to change the World.
- Reliving my childhood – playing rounders!
- In Defense of Physical Education – Part 1
Tech in PE
- Google Innovator – Catalysts for communities
- Google Innovator – Experiencing and Remembering Selves
- Using Keep In Physed & Health
- 3 Apps for Quick End of Class Assessment
Research in PE
- Adopting a model-based approach to teaching physical education
- ‘Measuring’ Physical Literacy and Related Constructs: A Systematic Review of Empirical Findings
- Action Research
- Beyond games and sports: a socio-ecological approach to physical education
- Physical Literacy Scholarship within Canada: An Overview of Literature
- How can coaches induce variability in motor learning? and Inducing movement variability in practice: Can it hinder performance?
- Movement and meaning-making in physical education
- ‘Blurred lines’: The duty of PE to establish a unified rationale
- Finding Pleasure in Physical Education: A Critical Examination of the Educative Value of Positive Movement Affects
- Principles of Instruction
- Development of Foundational Movement Skills: A Conceptual Model for Physical Activity Across the Lifespan
- Physical Literacy: When the Sum of the Parts Is Greater than the Whole
- What makes young people tick?
- A socio-ecological approach to physical education
PE Podcasts and Videos
- The morality of competition
- Personalised Learning in PE with Matt Magowan
- The Power of Moments in the Classroom
- The Importance of Play
- Digital Outrage
- How to love criticism
- It’s Time for Coaching Educators to Start Teaching Coaching and Stop Teaching Sport Science
- The riddle of experience vs. memory
- The Why, What, How & When of Movement Variability
- The Rule of 3
- The team of humble stars
- GAINcast: Dills
- The Edge with Joey Barton and Alex Goode
- A Review of the GBA to Coaching Literature in Competitive Team Sport Settings
School and Youth Sport
- Some More on Drills
- Beyond the Numbers
- It’s not about you…
- A Football Parable
- Plans vs Demands: Surviving the Coaching Challenge
- The Fundamentals That Will Make Kids Faster
- Taking the complexity out of games-based learning
- Parents – Do you know what a good coaching session looks like?
- Playing by the Rules: A Developmentally Appropriate Introduction to Rugby Union
- How to Make Coaching a True Profession
- Training Mistakes
- #13 I am Born to Coach
- State of Play (part 3) Form of Life & Culturally Resilient Beliefs
- Jordan Henderson debate…implications for talent and coaching
Other Articles of Interest
- The Warriors’ 70-Year-Old Truth-Teller
- The 25 Principles for Adult Behavior: John Perry Barlow (R.I.P.) Creates a List of Wise Rules to Live
- Relatively Stable Idiot Week 8: February 19-25 2018
- Semi-Stable Idiot Week 9: February 26 – March 4 2018
- Not Very Stable Genius Week 10: March 5-11 2018
- Super Stable Genius Week 11: March 12-18 2018
- Very Stable Idiot Week 12: March 19-25 2018
- General Ecological Information Does Not Support the Perception of Anything
- Recent Reading List…..
- Rejecting the Industry
- When a Stress Expert Battles Mental Illness
- In the obesity blame game, it’s easy to forget the role emotions play in food