Blogger of the Month
Andy Vasily is a PE Teacher and Pedagogical Coordinator who has been sharing his practice via his blog at PYP PE with Andy since 2010. This month has seen Andy at his most thoughtful; explaining how he plans to create moments of flow within lessons, how he checks the understanding of his pupils mid unit and how he explicitly teaches conflict resolution in PE with his primary school pupils. We share a similar drive in trying to make physical education more than a subject that teaches a list of decontextualised techniques and provide children more meaningful experiences of movement. Two key features of meaningful experiences in PE are personally relevant learning and challenge. Andy’s blog post explains how he allows his pupils to navigate and negotiate those features within a unit of work. I would also recommend his Run Your Life Podcast,which interviews people both in education and beyond about how they strive for personal and professional excellence.
Top 10 Articles of the Month
Exploring Meaningful Movement in Physical Education is a blog post by Justen O’Connor reviewing his recent journal article Exploring a pedagogy for meaning-making in physical education where he calls for the the more subjective nature of movement to be given a more central place within the PE curriculum.
Adopting the Three Bears approach to differentiating your teaching the second article by Justen O’Connor this month, looking at one of the key features for meaningful experiences within PE, that of challenge.
Our Children Become the Messages They Hear the Most from Changing the Game Project promotes four messages we share with children who play sport; healthy values, sense of self, ownership of the experience, and a sense of perspective.
Pedagogical Cases of Meaningful Experiences is from the crew at Learning About Meaningful Experiences in PE and Youth Sport share a number of real life practical applications of implementing a pedagogy of meaning within PE and Youth Sport.
Physical Education is just as important as any other school subject is an article written for the Conversation by Andy Sprake and Clive Palmer about the subjects position within schools and how we need to see the broader educational potential.
Survivorship bias and the enduring appeal of bad ideas from David Didau is a great reminder about promoting our successes without first testing them against other and potentially better ideas.
Teachers are key to girls’ self-perception is an overview of recent research by Natalie Lander which examines two key influencers that lead to engaging in physical activity which are positive self-perceptions and motor skill proficiency.
Thinking positive is a surprisingly risky manoeuvre is from the online magazine Aeon about the potential risks of thinking positively all the time.
- Much ado about Discovery!……in PE
- I used to think…
- Developing Physical Literacy through Dance
- Thoughts on Models Based Practice and Physical Education
- Using Data to Activate Learning
- Activating Student Voice in the Unpacking Process
- Education Secretary to get more children into team sports
- Investigation: Schools accused of fudging sport premium funding
- ‘We must allow children to take risks when they play’
- G5 Invasion Games Inquiry
- Flow in Learning Begins With Carefully Structured Planning
- What We Mean When We Talk About Quality Of Life
- Mid-Unit Conceptual Check-In
- Little Movers & Big Movers
- 7 Tips to Get Unmotivated Students Excited About Physical Education
- Making Sense of Student Learning Targets
- PYP: The Levels of Integration
- Wrapping the Invasion Games unit in G3
- Professional Growth 2018-19 Part 1 – The Pilot and Standards
- Every day counts
- Sending those Thank You Notes I’ve been meaning to write…
- Careers in Sport and Exercise Science – A Guide
- Podcast & Chill Part 3
- 5 ways to save PE from Martin Bryant
Tech in PE
Research in PE
- 5 characteristics of skill learning
- Transferring skill from a futsal ball to a soccer ball
- A Coaches Dozen: 12 FUNdamental Principles for Building Young and Healthy Athletes
- Exploring a pedagogy for meaning-making in physical education
- Study to explore how cognitive development shapes attitudes about physical activity
- Managing informal sport participation: tensions and opportunities
- Questioning for learning in game-based approaches to teaching and coaching
- Researchers find the most plausible cause of wellbeing decline in youth is increased screen time
PE Podcasts and Videos
- ‘Developing skill in a Fortnite Frenzy’ – A second conversation with David Hinchliffe
- Sarah Williams | Meeting them where they’re at in Primary PE!
- Working with Parents in Sport – a conversation with Gordon MacLelland
- SHHH! Don’t Wake The Bears!
- Talking about coaching
- Passionate, Committed & Happy teaching
- Dr. Sara Flory & socialization of urban PE teachers
- The Path to Perpetual Progress
- Lessons from Kris Van Der Haegen, Mark Upton, & Mark Bennett that have made me a Better Coach
- Informal sport
School and Youth Sport
- Redefining Masculinity in Rugby Cultures
- Scruffy rambles on Goalkeepers warm ups
- Informed Shorts: ‘Meta Abilities’ for Coaches, Practitioners and Athletes
- Commonalities of Movement
- What’s your story?
- The Fundamentals Are Never Too Basic To Teach
- Bouncing back from sporting failure – How can you help your child?
- Culture, Philosophy and Values
- Sport Systems – fragments of thought #13
- Ask the Expert: Dr Joe Eisenmann
- Notes from a conference (part 1): AIK youth football
- Creating a culture: A case study
- Why does a School need a Director of Sport?
- Re-imagining rugby development: Non-contact bibs, support for parents and no more 80-0 scorelines
- Coaching For The Brave
Other Articles of Interest
- How much volume do you need to get stronger and build muscle?
- Failing to succeed
- MARGE: A Whole-Brain Learning Approach for Students and Teachers
- An insurance discount for your fitness data is a bad deal in the long run
- Here’s what a brief jog can do for your brain
- What Man Utd can learn from Barcelona about culture
- A critical look at a constraints-led approach to training
- How to Live with Our Human Fragility
- Hunter S. Thompson’s Letter on Finding Your Purpose and Living a Meaningful Life
- I wrote a book. So can you.
- How employers have gamified work for maximum profit
- Andy Cole: ‘I apologise now to everybody for being the way I’ve been’