Blogger of the Month
Jono Byrne at My Fastest Mile has written a ‘mini-series’ I’ve called Up Shit Creek Without a Paddle. ‘Short and punchy posts’ that are his brutally personal reflections from 2 years of working in the UK’s Olympic sport system. Specifically looking at the root of failures he was involved in and I feel that we can all learn from Jono’s stories no matter what level of sport delivery we are involved in:
Top 10 Blog posts
- Old Coach – Young Coach by Vern Gambetta on listening and learning to ask better questions.
- The problem with small sided games by Rugby Strength Coach shares thoughts on using SSG to prepare players for rugby.
- Eddie Jones: Awesome hotdog salesman by Coaching the Coaches on Eddie Jones ICCE keynote.
- A Developing Story…. by Sean D’Arcy an ongoing reflective story of his coaching.
- Breaking The Command And Control Chains by David Dale on principles that might lead to deeper and more meaningful coaching.
- ‘’Decathlon at the skate park?” by Matt Wood on the multi sports experience and how it can help development.
- The importance of context underpinning the purpose of learning and training by Ben Franks going beyond the opposed/unopposed practice dualism in coaching team sports.
- KPI’s, Comparative Coaching & Classrooms By Mark Upton on factors that might hinder or support learning.
- Extending Learning Roadmaps in #Physed by Justen O’Connor on his continuing effort to improve PE assessment.
- After 10 Years of Coaching Here’s What I Think I Know by Ross Williams detailing his progression as a rugby coach over the last decade.
- Attitude of Gratitude: Andrew Vasily
- Tabata 101
- Tabata 201
- Planning for Back to School in P.E.
- 10 Tips for a Successful School Year
- #PhysEdSummit Physical Literacy Sessions
- #PhysEdSummit Fitness Sessions
- #PhysEdSummit Dance Sessions
- #PhysEdSummit Standards Based Instruction / Assessment
- #PhysEdSummit Health Education Sessions
- #PhysEdSummit TGfU Presentations
- While You Were Away
- The 9-Interview Itch: Deciding on My Next Physical Education Position
- “PE won’t give me abs”: Understanding Factors Influencing Girls in Physical Activity and Physical Education
- Respectful Relationships Education
- Most important model for teaching physical education
- Let Them Play – An Update
- How to Plan a Whole Year of PE in 15 minutes
- Taking the Fear Out of Physical Education
- Back to School….How am I Preparing?
- Back to School: Be Inspired!
- P.E Expression – striking and fielding
- Adventure Challenges in Grade Three
- Pay Dirt in Advance
- September’s Back to School Fitness Challenge
- 7 Approaches to Physical Education Grading
- Lanyard Leadership & Instant Feedback
- Analysing Australia’s Senior Secondary Physical Education
- PE – The Ultimate Underdog
- What #PhysEd Questions Were Recently Addressed? (A Review of the 2016-17 School Year)
- Are Accountability Measures Squeezing Out PE And Risking Young People’s Health?
- Did Ofsted consider PE and school sport when they visited your school?
- Throwing Development
- Jumping Development
Tech in PE
- A Guide to Draftback: The Ultimate Spy Tool For Google Docs
- The PE Geek Mobile App
- Using GSuite for Sport Education
- All About Augmented Reality
- Creating Certificates in Google Slides
- How To Insert Photos into Student Reports
- Examination PE – is it fit for purpose for 2018?
- PE, sport and physical activity have a crucial role to play in exam success
- “Take your time…”
Research in PE
- An introduction to coordination dynamics
- UnLocking Research for Shape America
- The 8 main ideas of coordination dynamics
- Attention & coordination – how are they linked?
- A New Blog Series: Forthcoming
- Psychological Needs and the Quality of Student Engagement in Physical Education: Teachers as Key Facilitators
- Understanding the reproduction of health inequalities
PE Podcasts and Video
- Skill Acquisition & Deliberate Practice with Ed Coughlan
- Creating learning environments that are full of ‘safe uncertainty’ with Rick Shuttleworth
- Sam Walker, Best Selling Author of The Captain Class
- A conversation with my mentor – Mark Bennett MBE
- Physically Active Learning
- John Kessel, USA Volleyball, Lines Teach You How, but the Game Teaches You Why
- 5000+ miles in the search for new coaching knowledge
- Sport Literacy
- Addressing our biases within talent identification
School and Youth Sport
- Where you are born matters for football development
- Sport Systems – fragments of thought #8
- Breaking Down Barriers in Sports Psychology
- The Zipper Phenomena: Building Character in 30 Seconds.
- Skill, drill, practice- do you know what you’re doing?
- You, Me, We: An Exercise in Building Team Culture
- A Final Game of H-O-R-S-E
- The Emerging Game
- How to Serve Up a Feedback Sandwich to Young Athletes
- Changing Practice
- Cross the paint mentality…
- Pockets of innovation (part 1) Ben Galloway
- Sport Systems – fragments of thought #9
Articles of Interest
- Mechanisms and Machineries
- The Legacy of Prior Events
- The Spirit of Sport
- The Neglect of Technique In Modern Coaching
- Are We Too Dependent On Big Data?
- Is Exercise Really Medicine? An Evolutionary Perspective
- Why kids need risk, fear and excitement in play
- The Average Guy Who Spent 6,003 Hours Trying to Be a Professional Golfer
- How Roger Federer Upgraded His Game
- Young at heart: why children who exercise become healthier adults
- Major Competition Coaching
- On the definition of learning